Monday, August 24, 2009

Lilliers to Fresnes Mazancourt - mileage total 210

After waking up very early I managed to get a bit more sleep before breakfast and then set off about 8:30 which was later than I had hoped for.

Setting off I tried to banish any thoughts of the big hill at mile 11. I soon found that a factory had been built exactly where I wanted to go but managed to cycle through the factory complex without any questions.

I cycled through some mining towns with big slag heaps and thought perhaps the satnav wanted me to go up one and I could go round. Just after Barlin I spotted a big ridge! I was soon passes by a pensioner on an old racing bike bit quickly caught at the bottom of the hill. I stuck to his rear wheel and followed him up the hill. It was like doing Bury Hill twice but the view was great.

Close to Mont Saint Etoi my chosen route turned into dirt track again. Another detour had to be planned.

After 25 miles I made it to Arras - a lovely town . I stopped in the main square for coke in the sun. I had thought I could do some provisions shopping but everything was closed on Monday morning!

I expected the rest of the today to be hilly but it was ok. The head wind was more of a problem. I had managed to chose some roads that were specifcally restricted to farmers and cyclists. They were great. I went through lots of villages which were like the village of the damned (or Ashington) with no shops and not a living soul to be seen.

I was looking for somewhere to get lunch but realised that this was neve going to happen on my rural route. I had burnes about 3500 calories on just my breakfast so I decided to stop and ate a whole bar of chocolate. I then pressed on for Fresnes Mazancourt past lots of Commonwealth War Cemetries - I was now in the Somme.

I arrived at my stop around 3:00 pm - little early for my hostess but I managed to go shopping with her in Peronne at get more chocolate and energy drink for tomorrow. I have an English couple staying tonight so that may make dinner more fun and it will be my first proper meal since Saturday.

Tomorrow is 75 miles to Dan and Claire ad I will be cycling away from Paris. I must be mad. Also the rain has set in and the forecast is rain.

Oh well

Richard

No comments:

Post a Comment