Sunday, August 23, 2009

Calais to Lilliers

I was picked up this morning by the channel tunnel bike service and Norman and 7:45 and we were on the 8:50 train. I was the only pick up so there was no one to chat to and no chance of a cycling companion for even a few miles. Soon enough I arrived in a warm and sunny Calais and was ready to set of on the 45 miles to Lilliers.

The road was smooth and fast but into a head wind. I has been chatting to a guy I cycled through Storrington with a few weeks about who had warned me about the route to Paris being into the prevailing wind. The
route was very pretty through the marais or marshes with canals everywhere and little bridges. To my right was a ridge of hills where
the wind turbines seemed to be having a productive day.

10 miles in at Ardres (very pretty) the route started to climb a bit. I has been expecting an easy day but one look at the countryside and I
was not so sure. I should have paid more attention to the elevation charts on my maps ( safely stowed in my back pack).

It was starting to get hot and the climbing was hard work. Nothern France was very quiet hardly any cars on the road and hardly any
cyclists but I have plotted a very rural route.

After 20 miles I was pretty tired and stopped for water and chocolate. I ate a while bar of warm Milka before I realised it. The view was
like the South Downs. Northern France flat - you've got to be joking.

A few encouraging texts and messages make all the difference.

The rolling hills continue and the weight of my backpack is an issue also my legs are a bit tiresdfrom 90 miles plus on Saturday. Luckily
I'm in no rush.

I shot down a hill (Rue du Moulin) into a small little valley and started the climb up to the windmill. As I got to the top the road
became a stoney dirt track. I had a choice of going back and trying to find a new route or pushing the bike until the track became a road
again. I could see farms ahead and decided to walk on. A girl shot past me on her mountain bike and i felt a bit more sure of my plan.
Soon enough the Tarmac returned. Still more hills - in all 20 miles of them. By now my water was running low and every bar, restaurant and
tabac was closed.

In Helfaut the Tabac was open so I pulled in had a small coke £2:00 (they could see is was thirsty) and set off again.

The hills were over thankfully.

By the time I got to Aire sur le Lys I was in need of food but everything was closed. I spotted a McDonalds and pedalled through the drive-thru. It's been a long time since they have had any of my money !!! Big Mac, large fries and a large coke with ice was probably
the right food groups after 42 miles.

7 miles to Lilliers. I arrived at the Chateau Philiomel looking a mess as the chain had come off (again!!!) and I was oily and sweaty. The owner looked a bit worried about his White linen and towels. I just wanted a warm bath. No such luck I had to make do with a cold shower and followed by a sleep. I then wandered into the town to find dinner
- everything was closed!! So I settled for takeway pizza on a bench in front of the town hall. I can't believe anyone could make such a
horrible pizza.

Another early night. In bed by 9:00 to get myself ready forthe next 60 and what looks to be a monster hill at 10 miles. A steep climb of 500 feet.


Richard Spofforth

No comments:

Post a Comment